ALLAN WERNICK: Speeding ticket won’t affect citizenship process; long green card wait for relatives

ALLAN WERNICK: Speeding ticket won’t affect citizenship process; long green card wait for relatives

Q. I pleaded guilty after the police gave me a speeding ticket. Will the speeding violation keep me from getting U S. citizenship?  R. Ola, Houston, TX Advertisement  A. Your speeding violation will not affect your becoming a U S. citizen. Still, you must note the citation on your naturalization application. The U S. Citizenship and Immigration Service naturalization officer who interviews you may ask about the incident However, it’s likely you won’t need to bring proof that you paid any fines or completed the driving class According to USCIS, you need to submit documentation of traffic incidents only if: (1) The incident involved alcohol or drugs; (2) The incident led to an arrest; or (3) The incident seriously injured another person You need not submit documentation for traffic fines or incidents that did not involve an arrest or did not involve drugs or alcohol, if the only penalty was a fine of less than $500 or points on your driving record Most Read Bronx boy’s fatal collapse in school lunch line was a homicide caused by mother’s slashing months before, ME says Drunk Kid Rock hauled off stage after profanity-laced anti-Oprah rant Hero immigrant used 5-foot long narwhal tusk to take down London Bridge terrorist  Q I am a U.S. citizen in the military. I would like to apply for a green card for my sister in Haiti How long with the process take?  Mikaylah Sweet [More U.S. News] Three children missing after vehicle gets swept away in Arizona flood waters » A Your sister will wait 10 to 20 years to get an immigrant visa. That’s because of the big backlog in the category for the brothers and sisters of U S. citizens. You start by filing USCIS form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative. USCIS has a special program to help current members of the military, their families, as well as veterans Get help by calling the toll-free military help line, 877-CIS-4MIL (877-247-4645), TTY (800) 877-8339 or emailing your request for help to [email protected] USCIS can help you with processing issues, but that won’t help your sister get here more quickly  You can also get help from the American Immigration Lawyers Association’s Military Assistance Program (AILA-MAP) AILA-MAP is a collaborative effort between the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) and the Legal Assistance Offices (LAO) of the U S. military Judge Advocate General Corps. The program provides free assistance to active duty, reserve and retired military persons At, you can get information and submit a request for assistance  Allan Wernick is an attorney and director of the City University of New York’s Citizenship Now! project Send questions and comments to Allan Wernick, New York Daily News, 7th Fl., 4 New York Plaza, New York, N Y., 10004 or email to [email protected] Follow him on Twitter @awernick

Related Posts

THE 100 Comic Con Panel 2015

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *