Toronto Accessibility Advisory Committee – October 11, 2019

Toronto Accessibility Advisory Committee – October 11, 2019


TEST TEST TEST TEST DID15 MAZIN TEST TEST TEST TEST TEST TEST
TEST TEST TEST MAZIN ARIBI TEST TEST COUNCILLOR KRISTYN WONG-TAM:
OKAY, GOOD MORNING, EVERYONE, WELCOME TO THE MEETING OF THE
TORONTO ACCESSIBILITY ADVISORY COMMITTEE AND WELCOME TO ALL
THAT THE MEMBERS TODAY AND STAFF AND MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC THAT
VIEW IN THE ROOM OR /PRAP INS THE CAPTIONING
ON THE AND YOU ARE WELCOME TO FOLLOW THE AGENDA ON YOUR
COMPUTER, TABLET OR SMART PHONE AND YOU CAN LOG INTO WWW.TORONTO.CA/COUNCIL >>[LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT] WE
ACKNOWLEDGE THE LAND AND INCLUDING THE CHIP
/WA AND THE WENDAT PEOPLE AND TORONTO IS HOME TO MANY DIVERSE /PHAEUGSS IN AND
THE METIS PEOPLE AND COVERED BY TREATY 13
AND MISSISSAUGAS OF THE NEW CREDIT. I WANT TO DO A ROUND OF
INTRODUCTIONS AS WE DO WITH THIS COMMITTEE AND
I WILL START WITH MY NAME AND WE CAN GO
THROUGH AND IN THE INNER AND IF YOU HAVE A PHONE
YOU CAN TURN YOUR LIGHT ON AND I AM COUNCILLOR KRISTYN WONG-TAM
AND COUNCIL REPRESENTING TORONTO CENTRE AND NICE TO SEE EVERYONE
TODAY >>JENNIFER LIN, I AM CITY
CLERKS OFFICE AND I SUPPORT THE TORONTO
ACCESSIBILITY ADVISORY COMMITTEE. >>GOOD MORNING EARN, CAROL AND
I WORK WITH JENNIFER IN THE CITY CLERK
OFFICE >>BUVANI SIVAGNANASUNDERAM, I
AM A COMMITTEE MEMBER, PRONOUN IS SHE>>MICHELLE PETRIDES, TAAC
MEMBER AND I AM SHE AND HER AND WORK WITH
DEVELOPMENT SERVICES SECTOR >>WENDY PORCH, SHE AND HER AS
WELL, AND COMMITTEE AND CENTRE FOR
INDEPENDENT LIVING IN TORONTO >>KRISTYN WONG-TAM WE WILL GO
HERE AND TO THE RIGHT >>MICHAEL MCNEELY, I AM THE
MEMBER AND WITH MY INTERVENE /TPHER DAVID >>DEIRDRE BOYLE, PEOPLE AND
EQUITY DIVISION AT THE CITY AND PRONOUNS SHE AND HER >>I AM LIV MENDALSON AND I AM
SHE AND HER AND MEMBER OF THIS COMMITTEE AND DIRECT OR OF AX
ACCESSIBILITY AND INCLUSION AT THE JCC >>JASON MITSCHELE: /SKWRAEU
/PHEURB, COMMIT /TE MEMBER AND HAPPEN /#350E TO SEE EVERYONE >>WE WILL GO TO THE OUTER RING >>LINDSAY WIGINTON AND I AM
PROJECT MANAGER IN THE TRANSPORTATION
SERVICES DIVISION >>TODD KAHN, CITY OF TORONTO
>>INTRODUCTIONS >>I AM WORKING WITH THE COUNSEL
COUNSEL AND I SUPPORT IN TAAC TODAY >>MAZIN ARIBI, I AM WITH THE
2019 ACAT CHAIR AND I AM HERE AS OBSERVER.>>GOOD MORNING, I AM WITH THE
MUNICIPAL LICENSE STANDARDS >>I AM ALSO WITH THE LICENSE
AND STANDARDS >>KRISTYN WONG-TAM: WE WILL GO
TO THE STAFF ON THIS SIDE AND UNLESS YOU WANT TO INTRODUCE YOURSELF AT THE
BACK?>>KRISTYN WONG-TAM: WE WILL GO
TO THIS SIDE >>I AM WITH THE MANAGEMENT
SERVICES DIVISION >>GOOD MORNING, I AM WITH
MANAGEMENT SERVICES DIVISION >>I AM SHE AND HER I AND AM
WITH THE SOLID WASTE MANAGEMENT AS WELL >>I AM DAN AND WITH SOLID WASTE
MANAGEMENT SERVICES >>I AM SHYLA PUBLIC
CONSULTATION UNIT >>I AM (INAUDIBLE)>>>>GOOD MORNING EVERYONE HAPPY THANKS GIVING
>>KRISTYN WONG-TAM: I WANT TO ACKNOWLEDGE THAT WE HAVE MARLENE
FINNEGAN HELPING WITH THE REAL TIME CAPTIONER AND THE PERSON
SUPPORT WORKER IS VICTORIA AND THEY ARE HERE FOR SUPPORT AND THANK YOU AND IS
THERE ANY DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST UNDER THE MUNICIPAL
CONFLICT OF INTEREST ACT, SPECIFIC TO TAAC MEMBERS? SEEING
NONE WE CAN PROCEED AND WE HAVE TWO SPECIAL KNEW FEATURES AND
ONE IS THERE IS NOW A DESIGNATED
WHEELCHAIR ACCESSIBLE AREA IN THE PUBLIC
SEATING AREA AND YOU SEE THE SPACES AND
THERE IS A PUSH BUTTON AUTOMATED DOOR ON
THE WEST SIDE OF THE ROOM /-RPBGS MY LEFT
AND YOUR RIGHT BUT IT’S ON THAT SIDE. AND SO I AM JUST GOING TO DO A
QUICK AGENDA REVIEW AND WE WILL RUN
THROUGH IT QUICKLY, AND THANK YOU, AND THIS
IS A CALLED SPECIAL MEETING, WE
DIDN’T QUITE HAVE QUORUM LAST MEETING AND WE WANTED TO MAKE SURE THE IF THERE WERE
COMMENTS STAFF NEED TODAY HAVE BEFORE WE PROCEEDED ON THE NEXT
LEVEL WITH THE POLICY WORK. SO THE FIRST IS THE D 15 CHAIR
REPORT AND I WILL HOLD THAT AND D 152
THE AUTOMATED SHUTTLE TRIAL AND REVIEW AND THERE IS A PRESENTATION FOR
STAFF AND D I 5. 3, THE BYLAW REVIEW, /ABG /SEGSZ /EUBLT FEEDBACK AND 5. 4, SINGLE USE AND TAKEAWAY
STRATEGY AND AX ACCESSIBILITY AND FEEDBACK AND HEAR ON THAT AND ONCE HELD AND D
15 TORONTO ACCESSIBILITY ADVISORY COMMITTEE 2020 MEETING
DATE AND THERE IS ALSO THE TERMS OF REFERENCE STATED AND WE
WILL HAVE SIX MEETINGS PER YEAR AND
ADDITION IF NEEDED BY CALLED BY CHAIR AND
COCHAIR. THIS WILL PROBABLY NOT REQUIRE
DEBATE BUT DO WE NEED TO HOLD THAT ITEM
OR DO WE PROCEED? YES. ANYBODY WANT TO MOVE TO ADOPT
THAT? I THOUGHT I SAW YOU. ALL IN FAVOUR OF ADOPTING THE
MEETING DATES FOR 2020? ANY OPPOSED. CARRIES. OKAY, ONE ITEM OFF THE AGENDA.
GOOD JOB. SO CHAIRS REPORT. THIS IS A REPORT THAT I TABLED
FOR SEPTEMBER 26 IT’S CONTAINED IN
THE TWO PAGE WRITE UP, AND I WILL GO THROUGH IT A LITTLE QUICKER BECAUSE YOU
HAVE NOW HAD A MONTH OR A MONTH AND A
HALF TO READ IT . CALL TO REQUIRE BUILDING
PROPMENT OF THE VITAL SERVICE DISBANKRUPT
HAVE PERSONAL AND IMPACT PERSONS
LIVING WITH THIS AND WE DID THIS BECAUSE OF
THE ONGOING PROBLEMS WE SEE IN THE HIGH-RISE BUILDING AND THERE IS THERE WAS
THE MASSIVE FIRE AND THERE WERE 1500
PEOPLE MISPLACE AND THEY ARE STILL NOT BACK HOME. SO WHAT
HAPPENS WHEN THERE IS AN INCIDENT AND YOU SEE THE
BUILDING DISRUPTED BY VITAL SERVICE AND
HOW TO MAKE SURE VULNERABLE INDIVIDUAL
AND MOBILITY DEVICES AND HOW YOU GET THEM DOWN AND UNTIL THIS
POINT THE CITY OF TORONTO DID NOT HAVE A STRATEGY AND I AM PLEASED TO SAY THAT I HAVE HELP
TO INITIATE THIS WORK AND WE HAVE
THE BYLAW AND EVERY BUILDING OWNER HAS TO
LODGE AND CREATE A VITAL SERVICE
DISRUPTION PLAN WITH THE CITY OF TORONTO AND NOW, THIS IS A BYLAW AND SO I AM
PLEASED ABOUT THAT. LICENSING OF THE VEHICLES FOR
HIRE AND THAT WAS THE JULY 16, 19 COUNCIL
MEETING AND WE ADOPTED AMENDMENTS FOR
THE CITY TO APPROVE THE SAFETY AND AX ACCESSIBILITY I CAB AND TRY
TO ADDRESS SAFETY MEASURES AND THE
CITY IS INTRODUCING A FUND TO OFFSET THE COSTS OF THE WHEELCHAIR ACCESSIBLE
VEHICLES AND THIS WILL BE FUNDED THROUGH CHARGE OF ALL MEMBERS /O
TELEPHONE INDUSTRY AND THEY PULL THE FUNDS TOGETHER AND THOSE
THAT OPERATE THE VEHICLES WILL DRAW FROM THE FUND AND THIS WILL BE
ADMINISTERED BY THE CITY STAFF. SO I THINK THAT IS A POSITIVE
STAFF AS MANY MEMBERS WERE SAYING THAT
THEY WERE NEEDING FINANCIAL SUPPORT AND THE COMMITMENT FROM
THE CITY OF TORONTO IS TO KEEP IT ON THE ROAD BECAUSE
IT’S A VITAL SERVICES FOR THE WORKERS TO DO THAT WE HAVE TO COME UP WITH
SUBSY DE. PROVINCIAL HEALTH CUT, I
ATTENDED IN AUGUST AND THIS WAS AN IMPORTANT DISCUSSION AND WE
HAD THE COMMITTEE AND THE COMMITTEE WAS ORGANIZED BY
THE ONTARIO HEALTH COALITION TO ADDRESS THE PROVINCIAL GOVERNMENT AND THE 22
BILLION CUT TO HEALTH CARE AND THIS
INCLUDED AMBULATORY CARE AND AT THIS POINT IN TIME IT’S NOT NECESSARY IN THE
REPORT BUT ON NOVEMBER 9 THERE WILL BE
A HUB LICK HEALTH RALLY AND I
UNDERSTAND MEMBERS OF THE GTA WILL COME TO
VOICE THEIR CONCERNS ABOUT THIS AND I
KNOW THERE ARE /RAL LIES BEING HELD
ACROSS ONTARIO AND AT VARIOUS TIME AND DATES FOR THOSE CUT AND
THAT IS THERE. PRIORITY RETAIL STREETS ZONING
BYLAW AMENDMENTS, I MET IN SEPTEMBER
OF THE CITY PLANNING STAFF REGARDING AN UPCOMING REPORT TO AROUND
PRIORITY RETAIL SPACE AND DESIGNATED THE NEW BYLAW AND HARMONIZING THE BYLAWS
THAT ARE ACROSS THE DOWNTOWN CORE AND THEY WANT TO ADD MORE SPACE FOR
DESIGNATED PRIORITY RETAIL. WHAT I BROUGHT TO THE TABLE FOR
TAAC, I REENFORCED THE NEED THAT ALL
ENTRANCES NEED TO BE ACCESSIBLE AND THE
VISIBILITY SHOULD BE CONSIDER AND LOOKING AT THAT AND THE SIGN CONSIDERATION. I
BELIEVE IT WAS WELL RECEIVED. ALSO WITH THE CHAIR’S REPORT I ATTENDED ON BEHALF OF TAAC THE CHARTWELL GRAND OPENING, THERE WAS THE
DISABILITY AWARENESS MONTH SEPTEMBER WORLD AWARENESS DAY AND RE HAH BILL DAY SEPTEMBER AND THAT
BRINGS ME TO THE END OF MY CHAIR’S
REPORT. IF I COULD HAVE A MOTION TO
RECEIVE? LIVE? ALL IN FAVOUR, THANK YOU VERY
MUCH. CARRIES SO COMING TO ITEM 5 POINT 2, THE AUTOMATED SHUTTLE TRIAL, I WILL
INVITE YOU TO THE FRONT. I KNOW YOU HAVE A PRETENATION FOR US
AND WHEN YOU ARE READY I THINK IT’S ON THE SCREEN . >>LINDSAY WIGINTON: THANK YOU
FOR HAVING US, I AM THE PROJECT
MANAGER OR AUTOMATED VEHICLES AND I WOULD
LIKE TO SHARE WITH A PROJECT UPDATE ON
THE A T S TRIAL AND THIS IS SOMETHING WE
HAVE BEEN /PWORBG WORKING ON, WE ARE
LOOKING FOR FEEDBACK ON WHERE WE ARE AT AND WHERE WE NEED TO GO
FROM HERE. SO MY PRESENTATION IS ABOUT TEN
MINUTES THIS MORNING AND I WILL /KO*EUFR A BIT ABOUT VEHICLE AUTOMATION AND
TRANSIT AND THEN REVIEW ON THE PROJECT AND
SPEAK ABOUT ACCESSIBILITY REQUIREMENT AND THE SAFETY
CONSIDERATION AND WHAT WE CONSIDER AND THE SENSE OF THE
TIMELINE. SO WHY ARE AUTOMATED VEHICLES
AND THIS REFERS TO A RANGE OF TECHNOLOGIES THAT CAN CONDUCT SOME OF OR ALL PARTS
/O /-F THE DRIVING TASK AND WE USE A
RANGE OF SENSOR AND COMPUTERS TO DO THIS.
SO THIS SHOWS ABOVE THE CITY STREET AND BUS AND CARS AND
PEDESTRIANS COMMUNICATION WITH EACH OTHER AND THE IDEA IS THAT IN THE FUTURE SOME
OF THESE COULD BE AUTOMATED AND THE INTRODUCTION OF THE AUTOMATED TECHNOLOGY IS
AND COULD HAVE BENEFITS FOR THE SAFETY OF THE ACCESSIBILITY OF THE NETWORK SO WHEN YOU THINK
OF TRANSIT, THE CITY OF TORONTO A
LONG WITH THE PARTNERS AT TTC AND MET
LINKS HAVE BEEN WANTING TO LEARN ABOUT THE POTENTIAL IN THE TRANSIT SYSTEM
IN THE FUTURE AND IN THIS PROJECT WE ASK, IS THERE AN OPPORTUNITY TO FILL
GAPS IN THE SYSTEM AND NOT TO REPRODUCE BUT
PROVIDE SOMETHING DIFFERENT AND IN THE 018 WE A PRIED TO TRANSPORT CANADA TO A
PROGRAM ADVANCE AND CONNECT OF THE
SYSTEM AND WE PROPOSED TO CONDUCT A TRIAL WITH
THE IN TORONTO AND THIS IS SOMETHING THAT HAS BEEN DONE IN
OTHER PARTS /O /-F THE WORLD BUT IS NOT USUALLY DONE IN
PARTNERSHIP WITH TRANSIT AGENCY AND SO THAT IS EXCITING AND THIS
SHOWS AN EXAMPLE OF SOME OF THE SHUTTLES,
THEY ARE A NEW AND EMERGING PRODUCT
ON THE MARKET. THEY ARE NOT LIKE ANOTHER
VEHICLE THAT YOU MAY HAVE EXPERIENCED BEFORE,
THEY ARE SIZED SOMEWHERE BETWEEN A DODGE CARAVAN AND THEN SMALLER
THAN A PROMAASER AND THEY TYPICALLY
HAVE A DOOR THAT OPENS ON ASIDE AND
THEN BENCH SEATING AND AROUND THE AND AS I
WILL SPEAK ABOUT IN A MOMENT WE HAVE NOT SELECTED THE VEHICLE YET BUT WE
WILL DO A REQUEST FOR PROPOSAL AND ASK
THE MARKET TO PROVIDE AND THE PROCESS WILL BE IN THE FALL WITH
THE STANDARDS THAT WE WOULD LIKE TO HAVE. SO A LITTLE MORE ON WHAT IS AN
AUTOMATED SHUTTLE. AS I MENTIONED AUTOMATED
SHUTTLES IS A NEW TRANSIT TECHNOLOGY AND WHAT WE SEE ON THE MARKET AND WHAT WERE ABLE
TO GO TO THE MARKET AND SELL US THE PRODUCTS AND SERVICES YOU SELL AND GET AN
IDEA AND THEN THEY HAVE THE ABILITY TO ACCOMMODATE MOBILITY DEVICE AND
THERE IS LESS NOISE THAN THE TYPICAL
VEHICLE AND LOW SPEED AND SO WE KNOW THEY
RUN APPROXIMATELY 20 KILOMETERS PER
HOUR AND SO THEY ARE SMALL AND CARRY 8 TO
12 PASSENGER AND WHAT IS IMPORTANT TO UNDERSTAND, AS WE WATCH THE
AUTOMATED VEHICLE INDUSTRY, THERE AREN’T
VEHICLES THAT ARE FULLY AUTOMATED YET BUT
THERE WILL BE A HUMAN ON BOARD AT ALL
TIMES JUST TO FILL THE CUSTOMER SERVICE ROLE THAT YOU WOULD EXPECT FROM A TTC
AND THAT PERSON WILL BE ABLE PROVIDE
THAT SERVICE. AND SO WE GET THE QUESTION, WHY
THE DRIVER LESS PROJECT THAT ALSO
HAS A DRIVER. WHAT WE ARE INTERESTED IN IS UNDERSTANDING
WHAT THE POTENTIAL IS FOR WITH THIS TECHNOLOGY IN THE TRANSIT
SYSTEM IN THE FUTURE. SO THAT IS A LEARNING PROJECT, IT WILL BE TIME BOUND AND IT IS ABOUT
TRYING THAT OUT. IN THE MEANTIME, IT DOES NEED
THAT HUMAN OVER SIGHT. SO THIS SHOW AS DIFFERENT KIND
OF SHUTTLE AND THIS IS THE ONE USED IN MONTREAL AND IT STOPS WHEN THE
DOOR OPEN AND LOOKS LIKE THERE IS A WOMAN AND CHILD WAITING TO
GET IN. YOU DON’T SEE IT BUT THE
VEHICLES DO HAVE RAMPS FOR SPECIFIC NEEDS. SO WHERE WILL THE SHUTTLE BE
DEPLOYED. WE WERE WERE LOOKING FOR A
NUMBER OF FACTORS, WE ARE NOT LOOKING TO /TKUP /PHREU INDICATE
AND SO WE LOOKED FOR AREAS THAT HAVE A GAP OUTSIDE OF
WHERE TTC HAS COVERAGE AND LOOKING FOR OPPORTUNITIES AND
FOR THE PERSONAL ASPECT AND CONNECTING AN /EUR A
AREA THAT DOESN’T HAVE AND IN THIS CASE, THE PREFERRED ROUTE
IS THE GO STATION AND THIS IS AN ACCESSIBLE GO
/SHAEUGS AND WE INITIATED PUBLIC CONSULTATIONS
OF THE COMMUNITY WHICH COVERS THAT STATION. THE IMAGE HERE SHOWS THE STATION
AS WELL AND IT’S MORNING RUSH HOUR AND THERE ARE A NUMBER OF PASSENGERS BOARDING
THE TRAIN. AND SO ON SLIDE 7, WHAT THE
GOALS OF THE PROJECT. SO WE WANT TO UNDERSTAND THE
POTENTIAL AND AFTER THE TRIAL IS OVER THERE IS NO INTENT TO SCALE UP.
WE ARE INTEREST /TPH-D THE HUMAN INTERACTION AND HOW DO WE HAVE
THE PEOPLE WITH DIFFERENT NEEDS FEEL ABOUT RIDING AND HOW THEY ACCESS IT
AND THAT IS WHAT WE ARE LOOKING TO LEARN AND HEAR FROM THE
COMMUNITY ABOUT AND THEN WE ARE ALSO WANTING TO UNDERSTAND THE
TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS TO SERVICE PLANNING PERSPECTIVE AND THE SKILL AND
WHAT IS EMERGING AND WHAT THE CITY NEEDS TO GAIN AS WELL.
SO JUST TO GIVE YOU A SENSE OF THE TRIAL PLAN, AS STANDS, WE WANT TO
LAUNCH IN THE FALL OF NEXT YEAR, THERE IS A LOT OF WORK TO BE DONE AND THEN THE
GOAL IS 6 TO 12 MONTHS. IT WILL BE FREE AND AND HOWEVER,
WHEN THE VEHICLE ARRIVES AT THE GO STATION, IF YOU TRANSFER TO THE TTC BUS
OR GO TRAIN YOU WOULD PAY THE FARE. WE WANT TO AVOID RUSH HOW HOUR
AND SO IT’S RUNNING 3 HOURS IN THE MORNING AND 3 HOURS IN THE
AFTERNOON. ONE OF THE REASONS WE CHOSE THIS APPROACH, IS THE VEHICLE WILL BE
NEEDING A MOMENT TO RECHARGE IN THE AFTERNOON BETWEEN THE HOURS. AND WE HAVE THE VEHICLE THAT CAN
LOOP AROUND ABOUT EVERY 20 TO 30
MINUTES. IT WILL BE A FIXED ROUTE. WE HAVE A NUMBER OF OPTIONING
AND WE AN AT THIS TIME PATE SOME FIXED STOPS BUT WE WILL BE WORKING ON WHAT
IS THE BEST METHOD TO HANDLE THAT AND
AS WE CAN SAY, THERE IS A LOT TO THINK ABOUT AND HOW WE MAKE THIS ACCESSIBLE AND
IDENTIFY AND THE DIFFERENT WAYS TO ACCESS THAT. AND JUST TO SAY, WE ARE COMING
TO YOU NOW BECAUSE WE ARE IN THE PROCESS OF DEVELOPING THE PLAN AND NOTHING
IS CARVED IN STONE AND SO WE ARE LOOKING FOR FEEDBACK. I DO WANT TO SAY A BIT ABOUT
WHERE WE ARE WITH THE AX ACCESSIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
AND THIS IS A SHORT DEMONSTRATION FROM
CALGARY AND THIS IS SOMEONE COMING OFF THE RAMP. AND THE DETAIL DESIGN DEPENDS ON
THE VENDOR TO BE SELECT AND WE HOPE
TO HAVE THAT IN THE NEW YEAR, WE WILL
REQUIRE THE VEHICLE AND SERVICE TO COMPLY WITH THE ACCESSIBILITY
FOR ONTARIANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT, AND THE HIGHWAY TRAFFIC ACT AND FOLLOW METRO
LINKS AND THE TTC AND REQUIREMENTS AND
PRACTICE AROUND HOW TO BOARD AND THE SUPPORT FROM CUSTOMER
SERVICE. SLIDE TEN, A BIT MORE ON WHERE
WE ARE AT WITH THE ACCESSIBILITY
REQUIREMENTS, WE ANTICIPATE SOME OF THE FOLLOWING, SO WITH THE AODA AND HIGHWAY
TRAFFIC ACT, MAKING SURE OF THE STOP ANNOUNCEMENTS INSIDE THE
VEHICLE, HAVING THE RAMP AND WE SEE THE RAMP IS MANUAL
DEPLOYED BY THE STAFF AND SO WE WANT TO HAVE
THE AUTOMATIC ONE AND ACCOMMODATE
PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES WITH SERVICE
ANIMALS AND SECURITY DEVICE AND MORE
MOBILITY DEVICE AND ASKING THE PERSON TO
HOW AND FOLLOW BEST PRACTICE IN THE
DESIGN OF THE DEVICES AND WITH THE OTHER PASSENGER AS WELL AND IF THERE IS
APPLICATIONS MAKING SURE THOSE ARE FOLLOWING THE BEST PRACTICE. JUST TO CONSIDER SAFETY. THAT
IS TOP CONSIDERATION FOR US AND THIS IS WHAT WE TAKE INTO
ACCOUNT A NUMBER OF FACTORS WHEN CHOOSING
A ROUTE. THE TRAVEL IS NORMAL SPEED AND
AS WE WERE LOOKING FOR THE VENDOR THAT
WILL CHOSE PROCUREMENT AND THOSE THAT HAVE THE GREAT SAFETY TRACK RECORD
AROUND THE WORLD. THE TIMELINE, WORKING ON THIS
SINCE EARLY LAST YEAR, WE ARE IN 2019
WHERE WE HAVE BEEN UNDERTAKING PUBLIC CONSULTATION AND THE LAUNCH
SERVICE IN THE FALL OF NEXT YEAR. WE ARE SETTING UP THE TESTING
PERIODS AND SO ONCE WE HAVE A VENDOR ON
BOARD, THE PLAN RIGHT NOW IS SETTING UP
THE FOCUS GROUP WITH PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES AND SO THEY CAN
INTERACT AND GIVE US FEEDBACK AND HELP US
AS NEEDED. AND THAT IS THE END OF MY
PRESENTATION, AND SO HAPPY TO TAKE QUESTION
AND COMMENTS >>KRISTYN WONG-TAM: THANK YOU,
WE WILL OPEN UP, I SEE THE HANDS GO UP AND I WILL JUST RECOGNIZE HERE AND
STARTING OVER HERE ON THE END. >>JASON MITSCHELE: THANK YOU,
THAT WAS INTERESTING AND TIMELY. COUPLE OF QUESTIONS, SO IS THIS
ONE VEHICLE YOU ARE LOOKING ATGETING
AND HOW LONG WILL THE WAIT TIME BE AND
YOU MENTIONED THAT THERE IS A TRIAL
THAT MAY HAPPEN OR THERE WAS ONE IN
MONTREAL OR CALGARY, WHAT VEHICLES DID THEY
USE AND DO YOU HAVE DATA >>LINDSAY WIGINTON: GREAT
QUESTION. THE FIRST, TIME. WE ANTICIPATE THAT WE WILL ONLY
HAVE ONE VEHICLES, THAT IS THE
FUNDING AND SO THE DISTANCE THAT WE CHOSE WILL HOPEFULLY PROVIDE THE MOVE
AROUND OF 20 TO 30 MINUTE AND THAT IS
DESIGNED TO GET TO THE GO STATION, SO YOU HAVE
EVERY 20 TO 30 MINUTES IN THE 3 HOUR
PERIOD IN THE MORNING AND THE OTHER
CITIES, WE CAN DRAW SOME LESSONS FROM THAT AND
WE DO OFTEN AS WE WORK WITH THIS AND
IT’S DIFFERENT IN THE CALGARY CASE IT
WAS A SHORT TWO WEEK SYSTEM AND SO
WHETHER THERE IS OUR COLLEAGUE INS
MONTREAL, THE PRODUCT JUST LAUNCHED A COUPLE
OF MONTH AS GO AND SO THAT IS NOT FULL
YET BUT WE ARE MONITORING THAT.
>>KRISTYN WONG-TAM: DO YOU HAVE ANY MORE QUESTIONS >>MICHAEL? >>MICHAEL MCNEELY: I JUST WANTED TO MAKE THE RECOMMENDATION THAT YOU CONSIDER
PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES TO FULFILL THE CUSTOMER SERVICE ROLE ON BOARD
OF THIS CALL THAT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT
BECAUSE I FEEL ADDITION TO DEMONSTRATING ACCESSIBLE PASSENGER SAFETY AND PASSENGERS OPTIONS, IT WOULD
ALSO INDICATE EMPLOYMENT FOR PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES, SO I APPRECIATE
YOU THINKING ABOUT THAT >>THANK YOU, I WILL TAKE THAT
COMMENT TO THE STAFF TO CONSIDER. >>KRISTYN WONG-TAM: QUESTION >>WENDY PORCH: THANK YOU,
INTERESTING AND FEELING LIKE THE JETSONS AND
SO MY QUESTION IS HOW YOU SELECTED THE AREA. SO IT’S ROUGE /* HILL GO
STATION, HOW DO YOU KNOW PEOPLE WILL BE IN
THAT AREA THAT HAVE DISABILITY THAT IS WILL PARTICIPATE IN THE
TRIAL AND IF YOU DON’T, HOW DO YOU ENSURE THERE
WILL BE PEOPLE THAT PARTICIPATE IN THE
TRIAL >>GREAT QUESTION. SO I WILL
START WITH AN OVERVIEW. WE HAVE THE BENEFIT OF WORKING
WITH TTC AND WE HAVE A LONG LIST OF
CRITERIA AND THERE WAS THIS CALL TO
SURVEY THE AREA OUTSIDE OF THE TTC SERVICE
AND TTC IS MANDATED TO COVER 09 PERCENT
OF THE CITY SO THAT LEAVES US WITH TEN
PERCENT AND THERE WERE A NUMBER OF OTHER FACTOR AND BECAUSE THE
VEHICLE /R-S IN DEVELOPMENT, WE WANTED AN AREA
WITH LOW TRAFFIC VOLUME AND A PLACE TO CONNECT TO MAJOR STATIONS AND THOSE WERE
FACTORS THAT WE TOOK INTO CONSIDERATION AND WE USED SOME OF THE INFORMATION ON
WHAT IS THE MOST WAY PEOPLE GET TO THE
STATION AND THE USE CASE WE LOOK AT IS
THERE ARE A NUMBER OF PEOPLE DRIVING A SHORT DISTANCE AND PARKING IS AT
CAPACITY AND SO TO GET PEOPLE OUT OF THEIR
CAR AND THAT SAID, THERE ARE AND WE HAVE BEEN MEETING WITH THE
COMMUNITY AND THERE ARE PEOPLE THAT DON’T OWN A CAR AND THAT IS
AN OPTION. WE DID NOT LOOK SPECIFICALLY FOR
PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES IN THE NEIGHBOURHOOD AND WE HAVE
THROUGH CONSULTATION MET WITH ONE
INDIVIDUAL AND SO PART OF WHAT WE WILL NEED TO DO TO MAKE SURE
THAT WE LEARN IN PARTICULAR ABOUT HOW THIS VEHICLE SERVICE
MEETS PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES IS FOCUS GROUPS THAT I SPOKE
ABOUT TO MAKE SURE THERE ARE OPPORTUNITIES FOR THAT. AND WE AS A TEAM DO NOT HAVE
STATS ABOUT THE ABILITIES OF THE
PEOPLE IN THE NEIGHBOURHOOD. >>WENDY PORCH: SO THE TRIAL
HAPPENED BUT YOU CANNOT KNOW WHETHER THERE BE WILL BE PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES
AND THE ONLY OPTION IS THE FOCUS GROUP
>>IT’S ONE. IN TERMS OF THE PUBLIC CONSULTATION, THE TWO WE DID WAS DOOR KNOCKING
ON THE GROUPS AND THEN ALSO EVENT AND
AS WE GET TO KNOW THE COMMUNITY WE LOOK AT WHAT THE SPECIFIC
NEEDS ARE AND THAT IS THE ONLY WAY THAT WE CAN IDENTIFY
THE PEOPLE WITH SPECIFIC NEEDS.
>>KRISTYN WONG-TAM: ANY OTHER QUESTIONS >>THANK YOU, THE ONLY POINT I
WANTED TO MAKE WAS AROUND THE QUITENESS
AND SO THE NATURE OF THAT AND IT CAN BE A
SAFETY ISSUE AND YOU SAID THERE WOULD BE ANNOUNCEMENTS INSIDE
AND OUTSIDE BUT MAYBE KEEP IN MIND THAT SOMEONE
MAY NOT HEAR THE VEHICLE PULL UP AND IF THEY HAVE LOW VISION AND SO
CONCENTRATE ON THAT IS RIVERING OR THE PERSON
THE ATTENDANT IS ABLE TO IDENTIFY IF
SOMEONE IS NOT SEEING THE VEHICLE
ARRIVE. AND MICHAEL MCNEELY’S IDEA IS
WONDERFUL AND YOU SHOULD CONSIDER HIRING
PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES >>AND THE COMMENT ON THE NOISE
ASPECT, WE HAVE HEARD THAT COMMENT, AND
THE FROM THE TTC AND NOT ONLY IDENTIFYING
THE VEHICLE BUT THE SAFETY OF THE
QUIET VEHICLE ON THE ROAD. RIGHT NOW WE MONITOR AND THERE
HAS BEEN A REQUEST TO MONITOR THAT
AND JUST WITH ELECTRIC VEHICLE AS WELL AND WE WILL ASK THE MARKET WITH THE
BEST PRACTICES BUT THANK YOU. >>JASON MITSCHELE: THANK YOU. JUST AS A FOLLOW UP TO THE
QUESTION, WOULD YOU CONSIDER PUTTING IN
YOUR RFP THE ISSUE ABOUT THE NOISE
EMISSION, A VEHICLE THAT WILL IDENTIFY ITSELF TO PEOPLE THAT THEY HAVE VISUAL
IMPAIRMENTS AND OR NOT ABLE TO HEAR IT COMING. >>IT WOULD BE PART OF THE
CRITERIA TO MEET THE STANDARDS THAT THE TTC
WITH THE NEXT STOP ANNOUNCEMENTS, IS THAT WHAT YOU
ARE REFERRING TO >>JASON MITSCHELE: NO, I
CONSIDER FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, A LOT OF THE /E /HREBG TICK VEHICLES, AS A BLIND
PERSON YOU CANNOT HEAR THEM COME AND SO
THERE COULD BE, THEY ARE GREAT FOR THE
ENVIRONMENT BUT THEY COULD BE A DEATH TRAP FOR THE PERSON
RELYING ON THE VEHICLE COMING AND SO I WONDER IF THAT COULD BE PART OF THE CRITERIA
FOR THE RFP THAT THE VEHICLE HAS TO HAVE A WAY TO ANNOUNCE ITSELF>>THAT IS THE TYPE OF WHAT WE
ARE LOOKING AT AND WE CAN TAKE THAT COMMENT BACK AND CONSIDER
THAT. >>KRISTYN WONG-TAM: THANK YOU.
THERE IS ANOTHER QUESTION >>LIV MENDALSON: AS YOU PUT
TOGETHER THE RFP AND YOU MENTIONED THERE
IS SOME AUTOMATIC DEPLOYMENT AND SOME
ARE MANUAL RAMPS AND YOU WILL STUDY THIS PROCESS WITH THE IDEA THAT YOU WILL AND
HAVE VEHICLES ON THE ROAD WITH NO
ATTENDANT, I WONDER HOW THAT WILL WORK AND
I AM WONDERS IF AUTOMATIC DEPLOYMENT
WOULD MAKE MORE SENSE IF THERE ISN’T IN THE FUTURE AN ATTENDANT IN THE
VEHICLE TO DEPLOY THE RAMP >>CERTAINLY IF THAT WAS
SOMETHING IN THE FUTURE, YES, I THINK THERE
WOULD BE–SO AS IT STANDS RIGHT NOW,
WE HAVEN’T DECIDED TO SAY THAT IS A MUST FOR US, GIVEN THAT WE DON’T KNOW
BUT I AM SURE THE EXPECTATION WOULD
BE, IT’S NOT AN OPTION FOR PASSENGERS TO
DEPLOY THE RAMP. A LONG WITH WHAT WE KNOW, IS
CURRENTLY TTC CUSTOMER SERVICE ALSO HELP
PEOPLE WITH THE FUNCTION AND SO THERE IS QUESTIONS ABOUT WHAT
REALLY WOULD LEAD TO THAT AND I DON’T THINK THAT
WE WILL BE USING THIS PROJECT TO LEARN
MORE ABOUT THAT BUT I DON’T THINK THE INDUSTRY HAS A FULL ANSWER TO
THAT YET >>KRISTYN WONG-TAM: FOLLOW UP
QUESTION >>LIV MENDALSON: I WONDER IF
IT MIGHT MAKE SENSE THEN THAT GIVEN THAT WILL BE THE REALITY AT SOME POINT TO ADD
THAT IN THE RFP TO STUDY WHAT THAT
EXPERIENCE WOULD BE LIKE FOR PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES USING
THE VEHICLE IN THE FUTURE. >>KRISTYN WONG-TAM: YES.
THANK YOU, ANY MORE QUESTIONS. SEEING NONE, SORRY. THERE IS A QUESTION >>SO YOU MENTIONED THE
PASSENGERS AND WHAT ABOUT WHEELCHAIR USERS
>>WE WILL BE ASKING THE VENDORS TO TELL US THAT IN THE
SUBMISSIONS. TO GIVE YOU A SENSE OF THE SIZE, ONCE IS
ABOUT 4. POINT 5 METERS WIDE AND IF YOU
THINK OF THE ROADS AND THE DEVICE AND
SPACE NEEDS AND WE ARE IN THE PROCESS OF THINKING WHAT WOULD FIT BUT IT
IS OUR DIRECTION TO REQUIRE AT LEAST
ONE. >>AND TO SPEAK TO THE POINT
EARLIER, IN TERMS OF SECURING THE
WHEELCHAIR, IF THE VEHICLE WOULD NOT HAVE WHAT TYPE OF THINGS WOULD
HAVE FOR THE SECURITY >>YES, EXPLORING THAT IS I
WOULD SAY THE SCOPE OF WHAT WE ARE GOING TO BE TRYING WITH THIS
BUT WE HAVE BEEN LEARNING MORE ABOUT SOME OF THE AUTOMATED SECUREMENTS ON THE
MARKET BUT I DON’T KNOW IF THAT IS WHAT WE WILL HAVE IN THIS
CASE. >>KRISTYN WONG-TAM: THANK YOU.
ANY OTHER QUESTIONS. WHAT IS THE COST OF THIS VEHICLE? >>WE WILL NOT BE PURCHASING THE
VEHICLE, WE WOULD PROCURING A SERVICE THAT WOULD BE REMOVED
AFTER THE TRIAL. SO I AM NOT ABLE TO SAY WHAT THE VEHICLE
WOULD COST >>WHAT IS THE AMOUNT OF THE
GRANT >>365, 000 FROM TRANSPORT
CANADA BUT THAT INCLUDES SOME SECTION OF THAT FUNDING FOR STUDYING AND
EVALUATION SUPPORT AND THE /*UT OF T U OF T ARE PARTNER AND SO IT’S
NOT ALL >>WENDY PORCH: I WANT TO COME
BACK TO THE IDEA OF THE TRIAL. I DON’T THINK YOU WILL HAVE
ACTIVE DATA ON THE REAL USE OF THE
SYSTEM IF YOU DON’T FIND A WAY TO MAKE
SURE PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES ARE REPRESENTED. SO FOCUS GROUP IS HELPFUL BUT
THERE IS A GAP BETWEEN DISCUSSION AND
SEEING THE PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES USING THE SYSTEM
OVER TIME. IN THE SAME WAY THAT YOU
EVALUATE, I THINK IT’S CRITICAL THAT YOU
WORK WITH PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES SO YOU CAN SEE THEM IN SPACE IN THE VEHICLE
OVER TIME. IT’S AMAZING TO ME THAT WE
CONSIDER THIS VEHICLE AND TRIAL AND TIME
SPEND ON WHAT THE REQUIREMENTS MAY BE WITH THE VEHICLE ITSELF
BUT THERE IS NOT A LOT OF PLANNING GOING INTO SEEING
PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES USING THE VEHICLE. SO I WANT TO
EMPHASIZE THAT IS A CRITICAL CAP AND I HOPE YOU GO
BACK AND ADDRESS THAT. IT’S CONNECTED TO A GAP THAT TTC
TENDS TO HAVE WITH PEOPLE WITH
DISABILITIES AND WHERE THEY SIT. AND I WAS AT THE CONSULTATION
AND THEY HAVE A FIVE SERVICE PLAN AND
LOOKING FOR CONSULTATION ON THAT AND YOU DO HAVE A MAPPING TOOL THAT TELLS YOU
WHERE EQUITY SEEKING GROUPS ARE AND I LEARNED THAT PEOPLE WITH
DISABILITIES ARE NOT IN THE TOOL AND THERE IS NO DATA IN
THAT TOOL. AND SO YOU COULD HAVE,
POTENTIALLY PARTNER WITH THE PEOPLE DOING THAT PIECE OF WORK BUT THERE IS NO PRESENCE
OF PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES IN YOUR OWN TOOL. SO I JUST WANTED
TO POINT THAT OUT AND SAY THAT IS A HUGE GAP AND I HOPE YOU CAN TAKE THAT BACK TO THE PEOPLE
AT THE TTC AND THINK HOW YOU CAN ADDRESS THAT. IN THE CONTEXT OF
THIS PROJECT IT WOULD BE HELPFUL, YOU CAN SEE
AROUND ROUGE HILL THERE ARE PEOPLE THAT COULD USE THAT
>>ONE FOLLOW UP COMMENT. I COULD TAKE THAT THINKING BACK
AROUND IDENTIFYING WHERE PEOPLE ARE AND ONE CLARIFICATION, THE IDEA OF THE
FOCUS GROUP, THE IDEA IS THAT THAT
EVENT WOULD HAPPEN ONCE THE VEHICLE IS HERE AND THERE WILL
BE INTERACTION WITH THE VEHICLE WITH WITH WHAT I CALL
THE FOCUS GROUP. WE HAVEN’T THOUGHT WHO THAT
WOULD BE AND SO YOUR COMMENTS ARE HELPFUL
>>WENDY PORCH: SO IS IT A ONE TIME EVENT OR OVER TIME
>>ONE OR A FEW TIMES >>WENDY PORCH: I THINK IT’S OVER
TIME >>KRISTYN WONG-TAM: THANK YOU,
FOR YOUR PRESENTATION, SOUNDS LIKE AN INTERESTING PROJECT THAT
YOU ARE UNDERTAKING AND A LOT OF QUESTION MARKS THAT YOU DON’T HAVE TO AND YOU
WILL HAVE FURTHER STUDIES ON, IS THAT
CORRECT? THERE IS NO PLAN TO EXPAND IT’S
JUST A LOOK AND THE CURIOUS AND THERE IS NOT ANY DESIRE TO REALLY ROLE THIS
OUT IN ANY MASS WAY >>CORRECT. THERE WILL BE THE
RESULT AND THE DECISION /TPR-S THERE
>>KRISTYN WONG-TAMTHERE >>KRISTYN WONG-TAM: THANK YOU
YOU ARE ALWAYS WELCOME TO COME BACK >>KRISTYN WONG-TAM: SO WE WILL
NOW–THERE IS NO ACTION REQUIRED FOR THAT. WE WILL NEED A MOTION TO RECEIVE
THE PRESENTATION. COULD I GET A MOTION? THANK YOU AND ALL IN FAVOUR. SO THE NEXT IS THE BYLAW REVIEW . THIS PRESENTATION, I KNOW IT
WAS MENTIONED THAT THIS HAS BEEN
CIRCULATED ONE MORE ADDITIONAL TIME. THERE WAS A QUESTION
BEFORE THE COMMITTEE, WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE THE FULL PRESENTATION, OR DO YOU
FEEL LIKE YOU HAVE SEEN IT? MAYBE WE CAN GO RIGHT INTO THE
QUESTION PORTION? DOES ANYONE HAVE A BURNING
DESIRE FOR THE FULL PRESENTATION? NO. NO NEED FOR THE FULL
PRESENTATION, BUT WE WILL PROVIDE QUESTION AND
COMMENTS. DID YOU WANT THE PRESENTATION?
>>MICHAEL MCNEELY: I THINK I AM FINE >>KRISTYN WONG-TAM: THIS
PARTICULAR ISSUE WAS TIMELY AND ONE OF THE
REASON WE HAVE THE SPECIAL MEETING IS
THAT SHE NEEDS TO TAKE THIS PRESENTATION AND SHE IS PRESENTING TO THE PLANNING
COMMITTEE ON TUESDAY. SO I WILL SEE YOU ON TUESDAY. BUT FOR NOW, ARE THERE ANY
PARTICULAR QUESTIONS ? CAN YOU JUST GO THROUGH THE
TIMELINE FOR US? >>THE PROJECT ITSELF
>>YES >>SO, YES, BASED ON THE REVIEW,
IN THE SUMMER, IN JULY AND AUGUST WE
DID CONSULTATION AND WE HAD SINCE
BEEN DOING A LOT OF RESEARCH, LOOKING AT
THE PERMIT AND THE COMPLAINTS, THE ANALYSIS THAT WE
NEED TO DO AND WE WENT OUT AND CONNECTED
WITH KEY STAKEHOLDER /TPR-S THE INDUSTRY AND ALSO AX ACCESSIBILITY AND OTHER
AGENCY STAKEHOLDERS, TO FLOAT THE
OPTIONS THAT WE WERE CONSIDERING, RECEIVED
ADDITIONAL FEEDBACK AND THAT WAS IN RESENT
WEEKS AND WE ARE TAKING OUR PART TO
PLAN THE COMMITTEE ON THE 15 AND THAT
WILL GO TO THE COUNCIL MEETING. >>KRISTYN WONG-TAM: I WILL
JUST SAY THIS, I KNOW YOU NEED TO
COMMENTS, THERE ARE THE SLIDES AND THE SIGNS
POPPING UP CREATE IMPEDIMENTS FOR PEOPLE
TO WALK THROUGH AND THE SIGNS ARE
OFTEN UNEXPECTED AND SO AT THE MINIMUM
WE HAVE SIDEWALKS CLUTTERS WITH A FRAME
AND POP UPS AND YOU COMPETE WITH THE PEDESTRIANS CLEAR WAY WITH THE NEWSPAPER BOX
AND INFRASTRUCTURE, CONSTRUCTION AND
IT JUST SEEMS LIKE EVERYTHING IS STORED
ON THE CITY SIDEWALKS THESE DAYS. HOW DO WE ENSURE, BECAUSE I
THINK IT COMES DOWN TO ENFORCEMENT, HOW
DO WE ENSURE THIS WE HAVE SOME GOOD
CLEAR WAY FOR PEOPLE THAT JUST NEED TO GO THROUGH THE STREET? WHETHER YOU USE A MOBILITY
DEVICE OR NOT AND THIS IS ONE OF THE THINGS AND THE BYLAW IS GREAT BUT IF IT’S
NOT ENFORCED THEN? >>SO THERE ARE A COUPLE OF KEY
RECOMMENDATION THAT IS EFFECT THE BYLAW BUT YOU SPEAK TO THE ENFORCEMENT
MATTER AND THAT IS IMPORTANT. AND THE FEW RECOMMENDATION THAT
IS WOULD SUPPORT WHAT YOU ARE ADDRESSING AND WHAT YOU
DESCRIBE. SO SIMILAR TO THE REVIEW FOR THE
PATIO AND MARKETING DISPLAYS THAT YOU HEARD ABOUT EARLIER, WE ARE ALIGNING
THE RULES FOR THE TEMPORARY SIGN AND THAT
IS A FRAME AND THE SO FOR THE WIDER SIDEWALKS THAT
HAVE HEAVY TRAFFIC WE MAINTAIN THE 2
POINT FIVE AND THE CURRENT IS 2 TWO
POINT ONE AND WE WANT TO ALIGN FOR THE
HEAVIER PEDESTRIANS SIDEWALK AND MAINTAIN TWO POINT 1 FOR ALL OTHERS AND THE
OTHER RECOMMENDATION THAT YOU MAY HAVE
READ IS THAT WE ARE BASICALLY IRING THAT
WHERE IT’S PERMITTED OR FEASIBLE THAT IF YOU HAVE A PERMIT, FOR AN A FRAME OR
SIGN, THAT IT BE IN LINE WITH WHERE
THE PLANTING ZONE IS, SO THAT IS THE FIRST SORT OF PLACE THAT YOU SHOULD
TRY AND THEN IF IT’S NOT FEASIBLE AND YOU ARE ABLE TO
MAINTAIN THE CLEAR WAY REQUIRED, THEN YOU WOULD HAVE IT AGAINST
THE BUSINESS WALL, WHICH IS THE CURRENT REQUIREMENT THAT WE ARE
AMENDING AND THAT WHAT WE HAVE HEARD IS THAT
THIS SOMETIMES CREATES A MORE
IMPEDIMENT AND SO THERE IS THAT, AND SO THAT
THERE IS A LITTLE BIT OF STREAM LINE WITH WITH ALL OF THE OTHER
THINGS HAPPENING AND IN TERMS OF ENFORCEMENT AND THE CHANGES THAT
WILL BE HELPFUL FOR ENFORCEMENT, THERE IS A COUPLE, ONE, THAT IT
SEEMS MINOR BUT I THINK IT WILL BE HELPFUL, THE STICKER THAT IS
CURRENTLY ISSUED OR WHEN YOU GET A PERMIT FOR YOUR A
FRAME OR SIGN, WE RIGHT NOW DON’T REALLY REQUIRE OR HAVE A REQUIREMENT
AROUND WHERE YOU PLACE THAT AND SO SOMETIMES THE ENFORCEMENT AND
YOU WILL FIND IT ON THE SIDE OF ONE OF FACES AND NOW
IT’S ON THE EXTERIOR AND YOU CAN
IDENTIFY IT OR WHAT THE PEDESTRIANS CAN SEE AS
A SIGN OR WANT TO KNOW IF A SIGN HAS A
PERMIT AND IT WOULD HELP WITH THE
ENFORCEMENT EFFORTS AND SECOND FOR WHAT WE CURRENTLY REQUIRE OR
THERE IS A REQUIREMENT IN THE BYLAW THAT WHEN WE HAVE AN OR
WHEN WE COLLECT A SIGN THAT ISN’T PERMITTED WE HAVE TO HOLD
IT 30 DAYS. WE ARE REMOVING THAT REQUIREMENT RIGHT NOW. WE ARE RECK /PHAOEPBDING THAT BE
REMOVED BECAUSE THAT WOULD ASSIST IN MORE EXPEDITED ENFORCEMENT AND
WE HEARD THAT WAS A CHALLENGE >>KRISTYN WONG-TAM: CAN YOU
SPEAK ABOUT THE CONSIDERATION WITH
ALIGNING THE RECOMMENDATIONS BY SPECIFYING THE SIGNS ARE NOT PERMITTED A LONG
THE RIGHT OF WAY AREAS FROM BLOOR EAST AND WEST, BETWEEN AVENUE TO SHERBOURNE ARE YOU SAYING
THAT IS A SIGN FREE ZONE >>YES IT SHOULD BE.
SO RIGHT NOW, THAT IS A REQUIREMENT FOR A FRAME AND IT
SEEMED TO ME AND SEEMED TO US THAT IT DIDN’T MAKE SENSE
THE PORTABLE SIGNS HAVE THE SAME
REQUIREMENT. IT’S A TECHNICAL AMENDMENT TO
APPLY FOR BOTH. >>KRISTYN WONG-TAM: SO COMING
BACK TO THE CONSIDERATION OF ENFORCEMENT, RIGHT NOW, I THINK YOU CAN SEE IT FOR
A FRAMES BUT THEY ARE EVERY WHERE WITHIN
THE CATCHMENT AREA. AND SO YOU SUGGEST BY THE THAT
MAY /KOE RELATE WITH SOME A FIXMENT,
IS THAT ALWAYS FIXED TO THE WINDOW
>>IT’S ONLY ON THE SIGN >>KRISTYN WONG-TAM: SO IS THAT
STRONG ENOUGH A TOOL >>SO WE THINK THAT–THE INTENT
IS THAT COMBINED WITH THE 30 DAY STORAGE REQUIREMENTS, IN COMBINATION AND
WE ARE REVIEWING THE ENFORCEMENT PRACTICE AROUND SIGN AND FINDING
OPPORTUNITIES AND SO WE ARE DOING A LOT OF WORK IN TRYING TO GET THAT PROBLEM AND
WE DO THINK THE COMBINATION OF THE 3 WILL BE GOOD
>>KRISTYN WONG-TAM: THANK YOU, I HAVE NO FURTHER QUESTIONS. >>MICHAEL MCNEELY: I GUESS MY
FIRST QUESTION IS HOW MANY SIGNS ARE
CURRENTLY UPRIGHT NOW WITHOUT >>SO CURRENTLY WE HAVE, IN 2019
WE HAD 82 PERMITS, A FRAME PERMIT
ISSUES AND THAT IS NOT REPRESENTED OF WHAT
IS HAPPENING IN THE CITY AND THE INTENT OF THE REVIEW IS TO HELP
TO CLEAR THE RULES AROUND WHO NEEDS TO PERMIT TO
PUSH ON EDUCATION AND BRING A LOT OF THE SIGN THAT IS YOU SEE
IN THE RIGHT OF WAY INTO COMPLIANCE AND WORK TO MAKE SURE
THEY ARE POSITIONS WHERE THEY SHOULD BE AND WHERE THEY ARE NOT
PERMITTED THAT THEY ARE NOT AND ARE ERECTED. >>MICHAEL MCNEELY: AND I AM
JUST WONDERING IF THERE COULD BE AN ON LINE TOOL FOR PEOPLE WITH
DISABILITIES TO IDENTIFY WHERE SIGNS ARE LOCATED
AND IF THEY COULD PERHAPS PLAN THEIR
PLAN >>THAT IS GOOD FEEDBACK. I CAN
TAKE THAT BACK >>MICHAEL MCNEELY: I WOULD
ALSO WONDER IF BY WAY OF THE PERMIT PROCESS,
THERE IS A REQUIREMENT THAT THE SIGNS
BE TO SOME DEGREE ACCESSIBLE. SO THEY USE LARGE LETTERING AND
HIGH CONTRAST FOR BLIND USERS LIKE MY
FRIEND HERE. PERHAPS THERE COULD BE A WEBSITE
TO READ THE DESIGN AND MAKING THE
PEOPLE DO THE WORK TO BE MORE ACCESSIBILITY AND MAYBE THERE
ARE LESS SIGNS AS A RESULT. >>THANK YOU >>KRISTYN WONG-TAM: ANYTHING
ELSE? >>NO, NO.
>>KRISTYN WONG-TAM: THANK YOU. ANY OTHER MEMBERS WITH QUESTIONS
OR COMMENTS? I SEE NONE. ANYONE TO
SPEAK? >>JUST JUMPING FROM THAT POINT. I WAS JUST WONDERING ABOUT THE
STICKER. THAT COULD BE MAID ACCESSIBLE AND MAYBE YOU CAN HAVE SOMETHING ON
THE STICKER TO SCAN ON THE PHONE TO
MAKE THE WORDING MORE EASY. I FEEL LIKE I WOULD REPORT MORE
THE IF I COULD DO IT ON THE PHONE
>>THAT IS GOOD FEEDBACK. I WILL TAKE THAT BACK. WE WERE
NOT CONSIDERING THAT BUT WE WANT TO MAKE IT A BRIGHT COLOUR
SIMILAR TO THE DROP BOXES EARLIER, WE
WANT IDENTIFY SIGNAGE.
>>KRISTYN WONG-TAM: YOU HAVE A FOLLOW UP QUESTION
>>MICHAEL MCNEELY: GOOD POINT. THE FACT, BEFORE YOUR COMMENT I
DIDN’T KNOW THAT WE COULD REPORT THE SIGNS THAT WERE NOT IN
COMPLIANCE. SO I THINK MORE AWARENESS AND A MECHANISM IN PLACE, ADDITION TO
THE PHONE CALL WE SHOULD BE ABLE TO HAVE IT ON LINE. BECAUSE I
CAN NOT USE THE PHONE. THANK YOU
>>KRISTYN WONG-TAM: THANK YOU. ANYONE ELSE? SO I WILL COME BACK TO THIS
ENFORCEMENT. WHEN THE SIGNS IDENTIFIED AS
BEING ILLEGAL AND NOT PERMITTED, THE
TIME OF COMPLAINT AND THE TIME OF THE
REMOVING, WHAT WOULD THAT ESTIMATED TIME BE?
APPROXIMATELY? >>I DON’T THINK THAT WITH ME
BUT THAT IS SOMETHING I CAN LOOK INTO
>>KRISTYN WONG-TAM: BECAUSE IF IT TAKES TOO LONG, PEOPLE THINK
THE COMPLAINT WENT NOWHERE AND THEN
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE TO REMOVE IT? SO IF THE BUSINESS OWNER DOES
NOT REMOVE THE SIGN WILL MLS COME
AND TAKE IT >>SO THAT IS SOMETHING, ONCE
IT’S ESCALATED TO THAT POINT WE WANT TO BRING THE BUSINESS IN AND SO WE WOULD
START WITH THE EDUCATION WITH THE BUSINESS OWNER TO SEE IF
THERE IS A SOLUTION THAT MAKES SENSE, ONE, TO GET THE
PERMIT AND THE PLACEMENT AND THE SITE PLAN AND SO IT’S PLACED AND THEN THAT WOULD
BE AN ESCALATED STEP >>KRISTYN WONG-TAM: FOR THE
BUSINESS OR SERVICE IN THE AREA, THE SIGN
FREE AREA AND THE A FRAME SIGN FREE
AREA, FOR THOSE PARTICULAR BUSINESS, THERE
IS NO NEED TO REPORT AND YOU ARE NOT
ISSUING PERMITS, IS THAT RIGHT >>CORRECT. IF NOT PERMITTED WE
WOULD START WITH ASKING FOR THE REMOVING AND THEN TAKE STEPS TO
REMOVE IT >>KRISTYN WONG-TAM: SO HOW
LONG WILL IT TAKE FOR US TO SEE THE
SIDEWALKS IN THAT CATCHMENT AREA FREE OF THE SIGNS >>THAT IS SOMETHING I CAN
TAKEAWAY AND WORK WITH STAFF TO GET A NUMBER
>>KRISTYN WONG-TAM: AND IS THERE AN APPEAL PROCESS? SOMETIMES THERE IS AN AREA OR
BUSINESSES LIKE TO APPEAL AND THEN IT’S A POLITICAL DECISION? WILL THERE BE AN APPEAL PRO/KESZ
>>THERE IS NOT ONE >>OKAY. SO CANNOT SUBMIT TO
APPEAL. THAT IS THE END OF MY QUESTIONS, ANYONE ELSE? OKAY, I THINK I WANT TO THANK
YOU FOR COMING FORWARD WITH YOUR PRESENTATION, THIS ONE WAS HIGHLY ANTICIPATED. LARGELY BECAUSE AFTER THE
SIDEWALK PATIO REVIEW, IT CAME OUT THERE
WAS NO SUCH SITTING IN THE WAY OF THE PLANTING ZONE AND NOT A
LOT OF SPACE LEFT FOR PEOPLE AND FOR THOSE THAT ARE
TRAVELLING WITH MOBILITY DEVICES, THERE IS
EVEN LESS SPACE. SO I THINK WHAT YOU ARE DOING IS IMPORTANT AND I THINK THAT
THE–I SUSPECT WE WILL GET SIGNIFICANT COMPLAINTS FROM BUSINESS OWNERS
THAT MAY HAVE INVESTED IN A FRAME AND
DEVELOPERS AROUND THE DOWNTOWN AREA. I THINK THAT WE WILL HAVE A BIT
OF A SIGN WAR ON HOW TO REMOVE THIS. AND SO MY SUGGESTION IS
ENFORCEMENT HAS TO BE SWIFT. I DON’T
BELIEVE THERE HAS TO BE A LOT OF EDUCATION, ESPECIALLY THE EDUCATION IS YOU
ARE NOT TO HAVE AN ILLEGAL SIGN AND I DON’T THINK
WE NEED TO GO THROUGH MONTHS OF EDUCATION, THEY KNOW THE SIGNS
ARE ILLEGAL. THAT IS MY EXPERIENCE. THEY KNOW, THEY JUST THINK THE
CITY IS NOT GOING TO DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT. THEY WILL TAKE THEIR
CHANCE AND HOPE THEY WILL GET A WAY WITH IT AND
MANY BUSINESSES AND SERVICES, THEY
PUT THEIR SIGNS AND I SEE PEDESTRIANS
CROSS SIGNAL AND THEY PUT THE SIGNS IN FRONT
OF OTHER PEOPLE’S SIGNS AND THERE ARE
LEGALLY PERMITTED AND IT’S A BIT OF A
SIGN WAR OUT THERE ON THE SIDEWALK AND A LOT OF TIMES AT
THE SIDE OF THE BUILDING AND THEN WHEN IT HIT IT IS SIDEWALK,
THE PEDESTRIANS ARE NOT ABLE TO WALK AND USE THE SIDEWALKS. SO I WILL SUGGEST THAT YOU DON’T
NEED TO TREAD TOO LIGHT, ESPECIALLY IN AN AREA
THAT HAS A PROHIBITION AND THANK YOU
AGAIN FOR COMING. SO WE ARE MOVING ON TO
ITEM–SORRY. CAN I GET A MOTION TO RECEIVE THE PRESENTATION? MOTION FROM JASON MITSCHELE.
ALL IN FAVOUR, CARRIES. ITEM FOUR. PHASE TWO CONSULTATION. WE WILL WELCOME THE FOLKS BACK
HERE . WE ARE HEARING FROM>>THANK YOU FOR HAVING US HERE,
AND WE WILL BE HERE TO ANSWER ANY
QUESTIONS, THIS PRESENTATION IS AN UPDATE
AGAIN AND WHAT WE ARE CONSULTING WITH THE FIRST PHASE AND DEVELOPMENT OF THE
SINGLE USE STRATEGY AND WE ARE ALSO RECORD
REPORTING UPDATES TO THE PRESENTATION THAT YOU WOULD HAVE
RECEIVED AND SOME CHANGE AND I WILL IDENTIFY THAT
IN THE SLIDES AS THEY COME UP. SO AGAIN, TO REVIEW WHAT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT WHEN WE USE THE
TERM SINGLE USE AND TAKEAWAY
PACKAGING, IT’S A PRODUCT THAT IS DESIGNED FOR THE SINGLE USE
PURPOSE AND SO IT DOESN’T MATTER IF IT’S A BLUE BIN OR
GARBAGE, THESE ARE PRODUCTS NOT DESIGNED
FOR REUSE AND THESE ARE THE PRODUCTS THAT WE LOOK TO ADDRESS FOR THE SINGLE
USE STRATEGY. AND IT’S MATERIAL THAT WE DON’T
SUGGEST THAT IT’S SOMETHING MAID WITH PAPER IS BETTER OR WORSE THAN
PLASTIC OR EVEN IF THE PRODUCT IS LABELLED,
WE DON’T SUGGEST AN ALTERNATIVE WE
SUGGEST TO REDUCE USE. WE WANTED TO RECOGNIZE
THROUGHOUT THIS CONSULTATION AND THE PAST CONSULTATION WE ARE PROMOTING THAT THERE ARE ACCESSIBILITY ISSUES AND
POTENTIAL CHALLENGES AS WE IMPLEMENT HOW
TO REDUCE THESE. AND WE ARE AWARE THAT SOME
SINGLE USE SUPPORT ACCESSIBILITY FOR INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITY
AND WE WANT TO MAKE SURE ANY PROGRAMS THAT COME INTO PLACE
NEED TO BE INCLUSIVE SO EVERYONE CAN PARTICIPATE.
WE ALSO WANTED TO NOTE, ALL OF THE CONSULTATIONS THAT WE DO
HAVE BEEN MAID FULLY ACCESSIBILITY AND WE HEARD
FROM THE TORONTO ACCESSIBILITY ADVISORY COMMITTEE AND INSTEAD OF JUST
HAVING THE FOCUS ALL OF THE MEETINGS WITH THE CONSULTATIONS
HAVE BEEN MAID ACCESSIBLE. A REMINDER THAT THE WORK IN
DEVELOPING THE REDUCTION STRATEGY ALSO SUPPORT IT IS CITY’S MASTER PLAN FOR SOLID
WASTE AND /SPEUS /KHREU, THERE WAS A
RECOMMENDATION, IN THE LONG TERM WASTE MANAGEMENT STRATEGY THAT
SAID WE NEED TO ASSESS FOR GREATER WASTE PRODUCE
TO BE AN ACHIEVED AND WE IMPOSE LEVEES
AND MANDATE SOURCE AND IMPLEMENTING
BANDS AND THE WASTE STRATEGY ALSO
PROMOTED THAT WE INCREASE HOW MUCH WE
PROMOTE EDUCATION AND WASTE REDUCTION. AS MANY OF YOU ARE AWARE, THIS
IS NOT AN ISOLATED ISSUE THAT IS SPECIFIC TO TORONTO. THERE IS ALSO FEDERAL AND
PROVINCIAL ACTION AND INTENTIONS UNDER WAY AND WE HAVE BEEN
HAVING CONVERSATIONS WITH BOTH LEVELS OF GOVERNMENT AND
INFORMING THEM OF WHAT WE ARE DOING AND WHEN THE CITY OF
TORONTO IN THE FINAL REDUCTION /STRAUGT OF SINGLE USE TAKEAWAY
ITEMS WILL INFORM THE PROVINCIAL GOVERNMENT AND FEDERAL
GOVERNMENT AT THAT TIME. SO AGAIN, THE GOALS OF THIS
OBJECTIVE, AND THE GOALS AND OBJECTIVES IS
TO GET TO A SINGLE USE TAKEAWAY ITEMS
AND OBJECTIVE STRATEGY FOR TORONTO AND REDUCE THE GENERATION OF THESE
AND IF IT GOES INTO THE WASTE STREAM IT
COSTS MORE FOR THE TAXPAYER AND NOT HAVING
GOOD OUTCOME AND IF THEY ARE NOT MANAGED THEY COULD END UP AS LITTER IN THE
PUBLIC SPACES. JUST REPEATING WHAT WE HEARD,
THIS IS SOMETHING THAT I THINK IT’S IMPORTANT THAT WE SHARE IN
PHASE TWO. OFTEN WE HEAR FROM CERTAIN
STAKEHOLDER GROUPS THEY WANT US TO GO FASTER
AND RE/STREUBGTS /T*EUF ON THE
APPROACH AND THE USE OF THE ITEMS AND OR REDUCTION AND I
THINK IT’S IMPORTANT TO MENTION THAT SOMETIMES THESE ITEMS ARE
NEEDED FOR EATING AND DRINKING AND
SAFETY REASONS AND FOOD AND MEAL
PROGRAMS. IN ONE OF THE PREVIOUS
PRESENTATIONS TO THIS, WE MENTIONED WE WILL USE
THE EQUITY LENS TOOL SO IT WAS GOOD
TO HEAR THAT MAYBE THERE IS NOT THE ACCESSIBILITY COMPONENT?
THAT WAS THE TTC? SO THE FINAL USE ITEMS AND
TAKEAWAY ITEMS WILL ALSO GO THROUGH THE CITY EQUITY LENS
TOOL. WE HEARD LAST TIME THAT WHEN YOU
COMMUNICATE ANY OF THE WORK IN THE FUTURE THAT ANYTHING IN THE
PUBLIC REALM SHOULD BE ACCESSIBLE, BRAILLE,
LARGE TEXT AND WE HAVE WITH THIS SPACE THAT WE DON’T WANT TO HAVE SPECIFIC BUT
INCLUDE ACCESSIBILITY IN ALL
CONSULTATIONS. WE ALSO HEARD FROM THE COMMITTEE
LAST TIME THAT SOMETIMES IT’S HEALTH
AND SAFETY THAT SOME OF THESE ITEMS ARE USED AND THE LAST COULD BE DANGEROUS AND SOMETIMES
LONG TERM MEASUREMENTS COULD BE A
BARRIER. WE WERE ALSO ASKED TO PROVIDE A
LIST OF ALTERNATIVE AND WE LOOKED AT PROVIDING THAT IN THE
FUTURE. SO IN TERMS OF WANTING TO COME
TO THE COMMITTEE IN WAYS THAT WE
CONSULT RIGHT NOW DURING THIS PHASE. WE HAD A PUBLIC WEB CAST ON
SEPTEMBER 24, IT WAS WELL ATTENDED. I THINK OVER 200 WERE ATTENDING
AND 100 IN /KHAEUPL CHAMBERS AND WE
HAD STAKEHOLDERS MEETING WITH BUSINESSES, NOT FOR PROPERTY, BUSINESS
IMPROVEMENT AND RESTAURANTS AND MANUFACTURERS AND PACKAGING AND
THEY WERE WELL ATTENDED. I BELIEVE AROUND 60 TO 65
DIFFERENT ORGANIZATION AND THE MOST WE HAD
ONE THIS MORNING AND WE HAD A TOWN
HALL AND WANT TO DO TOWN HALLS THAT WERE
FOR NOT ABLE TO COME OUT AND THE FIRST ONE WAS LAST NIGHT AND WE
ENCOURAGE MEMBERS OF THE COMMITTEE TO ATTEND THE NEXT
TOWN ALL OCTOBER 24. IT’S TELEPHONE AND MEMBERS CAN CALL
IN OR VIEW ON THE COMPUTER AND
WATCH AND PARTICIPATE. THEY CAN CALL IN OR HAVE THE QUESTION READ FOR THEM IF THEY DON’T WANT
TO READ THE QUESTION OR THEY CAN TYPE IT IN AS WELL. IN TERMS OF NOTIFICATION OF
OTHER AGENCIES, WE HAVE BEEN WORKING TO HIGHLIGHT THAT WE ARE
WORKING ON THIS TO SPREAD THE MESSAGE AND WE ARE
ACTUALLY PROUD TO SAY THAT THIS IS A
TOPIC OF STRONG PUBLIC INTEREST IN THE CITY OF TORONTO. AND IT’S ENGAGING TOPICS SO FAR. THE FIRST CONSULTATION HAD OVER
20, 000 RESPONSES AND THAT IS HIGH. WE HAVE USED DIGITAL ADVERTISING
TO ADVERTISE HOW PEOPLE CAN GET INVOLVED AND WE HAVE BEEN SENDING OUT
INVITATIONS TO OVER 300 ORGANIZATIONS, AND
100 PLUS ACCESSIBILITY AND SOCIAL SERVICES PROVIDERS AS WELL AND MAID A
REQUEST FOR TAAC TO ALSO HELP TO PROMOTE
THIS PHASE OF CONSULTATION. PHASE TWO, WHAT WE WILL ARE ARE
LOOKING FOR IS FEEDBACK ON A PREACHES BEING CONSIDERED FOR
REDUCTION OF SPECIFIC SINGLE USE AND TAKEAWAY ITEMS AND
IMPLEMENTATION AND CONSIDERATIONS FOR TIMELINE AND
THE FIRST PHASE WE ASKED FOR THE PUBLIC AND STAKEHOLDERS TO IDENTIFY WHAT ITEMS WE SHOULD
FOCUS ON AND NOW WE NARROW IT DOWN TO A LIST OF FIVE AND I
WILL TALK ABOUT THAT AND BASICALLY LAID OUT THE HIGH
/HRAO*EFL TIMELINE TO SUPPORT MANDATORY
MEASUREMENTS. SEVERAL /POZ I BELIEVE
APPROACHES ARE BEING CONSIDERED AND TIMELINES
ARE BEING IMPLEMENT AND WE ARE STILL SEEKING PUBLIC AND
STAKEHOLDER FEEDBACK AND ONE OF THE THINGS WE WANT TO
COMMUNICATE IS THAT NOTHING HAS BEEN DECIDED. AND WE ARE LOOKING FOR PUBLIC
AND STAKEHOLDER FEEDBACK. THERE HAS BEEN SEVERAL GUIDING PRINCIPLES THAT HAVE BEEN
REFERRED TO TO DEVELOP REDUCTION STRATEGY AND IN ADDRESSING THESE
WE LOOKED AT IF THEY ARE RECYCLED IN THE CITY OF
TORONTO AND GREEN PROGRAM. WHAT IMPACT AND THE MANAGEMENT
SYSTEM AND HOW PREVALENT ARE THEY AND
ON THE CITY STREETS AND SHORELINES AND
WHAT ARE WE HEARING IN TERMS OF SURVEYING
THE AND WE ARE LOOKING A AT HOW CAN ANY
FUTURE REDUCTION STRATEGY HARMONIZE
WITH POLICY AT DIFFERENT LEVELS OF
GOVERNMENT. SO THIS IS I THINK MAYBE OF
INTEREST. THE TARGETED ITEMS THAT WE ARE
ADDRESSING. SO 2021, SINGLE USE EATING
UTENSILS, FORKS, CHOP STICKS AND 2021,
SINGLE USE PLASTIC AND PAPER BAGS. 2022 MANDATORY MEASURE /TOS
REDUCE HOT AND COLD DRINK CUP AND 2022,
EXPANDING FOAM AND TAKEAWAY CONTAINER AND
SINGLE USE STRAWS. THE MANDATORY MECHANISMS THAT
ARE LOOKED AT TO ADDRESS THE USE OF THESE
ITEMS TO /TKPET REDUCTION IS LOOKING AT THE BY REQUEST OR ASK BY FIRST BYLAW
AND FOR THE EATING UTENSILS AND SO THEY
COULD ASK THE CUSTOMER WHETHER THEY NEED THIS
OR THEY WOULD HAVE IT BEHIND THE CUSTOMER AND THE CUSTOMER ASK
FOR THE USE OF THE PRODUCT. WITH THE FEE, WE LOOK AT FEES
FOR SINGLE USE AND PAPER BAG AND
SINGLE USE OF HOT AND COLD DRINK CUPS AND
SO A RETAILER WOULD BE LOOKING TO CHARGE A FEE AND THAT FEE WOULD BE
CHARGED TO THE CONSUMER. AND SO IF YOU HAVE TWO COFFEES
TO GO, TWO FEES AND WE LOOK AT A BAN ON
FOAM AND TAKEAWAY CONTAINERS AND
CUPS. BEYOND THE MANDATORY MEASURES
THAT WE SUGGEST, WE WANT TO HAVE
VOLUNTEER MEASURES IN PLACE TO SUPPORT REDUCTION AND THAT INCLUDES ENCOURAGING
BUSINESS TO SELF SUPPORT AND PROGRAMS IN PLACE. WE KNOW
THERE ARE SOME RESTAURANTS THAT VOLUNTEER TO DO THIS OR
IMPLEMENT THEIR OWN USE CONTAINER PROGRAM
FOR A SMALL DEPOSIT. WE KNOW THERE IS B I A THAT HAVE
AND IDENTIFY THROUGH THAT AND HOW DO
WE SHOW CASE THE BEST PRACTICE AND
LOOKING AT EXPLORING PARTNERSHIPS WITH RESTAURANTS AND SO THAT COULD BE DONE
POTENTIALLY THROUGH THE WASTE REDUCTION PLAN
AND LOOKING AT REDUCTION ACTIVITY AND AS WELL AS CASE
STUDIES. WHAT TO EXPECT IN TERMS OF
IMPLEMENTING THIS AFTER CONSULTATION IS DONE? BASICALLY
THE CONSULTATION IS OPEN TO NOVEMBER 4 AT THIS TIME,
FOLLOWING THAT, I AM SURE STAFF WILL HAVE MANY
MANY COMMENTS TO REVIEW AND ANALYZE
DATA RESULT AND FROM THERE TO CONTINUE TO UPDATE ANY JURISDICTION SCANS
AND OTHER TAKING ACTION TO BAN OR REDUCE
AND HELP WITH THE TIMING OF SOME OF THOSE PLANS THAT ARE UNDER
WAY. WE LOOK AT HOW WE CAN FORM THESE
YOU SHOULD THE PRODUCTION PLAN BE A
PROVE AND THEN IN 2020 /PRERPBT THE
FINDINGS TO COMMITTEE AND COUNCIL. IF APPROVED, WE WOULD
MOVE TO STARTING TO MAKE THE BYLAW AND THEN HAVE
THEM PUT IN PLACE STARTING 2021, OR 2022. AND ALL WITH THE ENFORCED
BYLAWS. WE WOULD WORK WITH BUSINESSES
AND THAT WILL TAKE TIME TO GET EDUCATED
ON HOW TO IMPLEMENT AND THE EDUCATION AND
GET THE BEHAVIOR CHANGE THAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR AND IF THE REDUCTION STRATEGY IS APPROVED BY COUNSEL IN 2020,
THEN IT WILL BE IN PLACE IN 2021.
FINALLY, IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS REGARDING CONSULTATION OR WANT
MORE INFORMATION ON OUR SINGLE USE AND TAKEAWAY REDUCTION STRATEGY, WE
HAVE THE DEDICATED EMAIL [email protected] CA, AND WE ARE LOOKING AT
CLOSING THIS PLACE ON NOVEMBER 4. WE ARE HERE TO ANSWER ANY
QUESTIONS. >>KRISTYN WONG-TAM: THANK YOU,
TURNING TO THE COMMITTEE MEMBERS, ARE THERE ANY
QUESTIONS? STARTING OVER HERE. >>LIV MENDALSON: THANK YOU FOR
YOUR PRESENTATIONS. INTERESTING. I HAVE A QUESTION AROUND THE
SINGLE USE ITEMS THAT PEOPLE CAN REDUCE
THAT ARE OFFERED, WILL THERE BE AN
EDUCATION AROUND THE FACT THERE ARE ACCESSIBILITY NEEDS AROUND THOSE TYPES OF
SINGLE USE ITEMS? I KNOW MANY BUSINESSES HAVE
ELIMINATED STRAWS AND THERE HAS BEEN IN INSTANCES WHERE PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES
REQUESTED TO USE THEM AND SO I WONDER IF
THERE IS ANY PUBLIC EDUCATION THAT WHILE
IT’S TO REDUCE, THERE ARE ITEMS THAT
PEOPLE NEED FOR PARTICULAR ACCESSIBILITY PURPOSES
>>THANK YOU FOR THE QUESTION. YES, WE WANT TO HAVE AN EXAX ACCESSIBILITY EDUCATION
COMPONENT AND SO IF THERE IS QUESTION AND WE WOULD BE HAPPY TO COME BACK TO TAAC ONCE
WE HAVE THAT IN PLACE OR DRAFTED>>THANK YOU. >>WENDY PORCH: HELLO A GAIN. WE SAW EACH OTHER AT A
CONSULTATION. NICE TO SEE YOU. I WANTED TO ASK A QUESTION
AROUND ITEMS WITH FEES, I KNOW PART OF
WHAT YOU LOOK AT IS THE ADDITIONAL FEES
TO SOME OF THE PLASTIC ITEMS AND SO FOR
PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES AND WHEN THAT
COMES AND THE INCOME, THIS THIS COULD
HAVE AN IMPACT ON THEIR INCOME, HOW DO
YOU CONSIDER THE FEES FOR PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES
>>THANK YOU FOR THAT QUESTION. SO, YES, THAT IS WHAT WE ARE
LOOKING AT WITH THE POLICY AND APPROACH, THAT WAS ONE THAT WAS OF
CONSIDERATION WITH THE IMPACT AND PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES AND
PEOPLE WITH LOW INCOME AND WE ARE REACHING OUT TO GET THE
FEEDBACK AND COMMENTS ON HOW THIS COULD
IMPACT THEM AND WE WILL TAKE INTO
CONSIDERATION THE COMMENTS WE RECEIVE AND GOING INTO THE AREAS AND COMMUNITY PARTNERS
TABLES AND THE AGES AND DIFFERENT CROSS
SECTORS OF THE POPULATION FOR FEEDBACK AND SIMILAR, AS MENTIONED, WE HAVE THE
MEETINGS AND WE TRY TO MAKE THEM
ACCESSIBILITY FOR THE TOWN HALL AND THE MEETINGS AS WELL AND GOING ON LINE TO COMPLETE
SURVEY AND THAT IS SOMETHING TO CONSIDER THROUGH THE EQUITY TOOL AND SEE HOW IT
IMPACTS THE INDIVIDUALS PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES AND LOW
WELCOME >>AND JUST TO ADD TO THAT, WE
RECOGNIZE IT COULD BE A BARRIER, SO WHEN WE STRUCTURE THE ON LINE
SURVEY, WE HAD THIS AND PROPOSED A FEE AMOUNT. THERE IS A RANGE OF DIFFERENT
FEES WHETHER IT’S FIVE SENTS, OTHER OR NO. AND SO THERE IS STILL AN OPTION
TO STATE THAT NO FEE IS WHAT IS
REFERRED TO ADDRESS THE USE OF THAT ITEM. >>KRISTYN WONG-TAM: THANK YOU.
YES? >>WENDY PORCH: JUST A
CLARIFYING QUESTION. YOU SAY YOU ARE REACHING OUT TO
ORGANIZATIONS THAT WORK WITH PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES AND
OTHER GROUPS. HOW ARE YOU REACHING OUT
>>I WILL REFER THAT TO THE PUBLIC CONSULTATION GROUP. >>HI, SO WE HAVE A STAKEHOLDER
THAT HAS ABOUT 350 ORGANIZATION AND
INCLUDES 150 ACCESSIBILITY ORGANIZATIONS AND SO THAT IS THE PRIMARY MODE OF OUTREACH
AND THEN SENT THROUGH THIS COMMIT /TE AND THE ACCESSIBILITY
LIST. SO THOSE CONTACT /R-S INVITED TO
ALL OF THE CONSULTATION AND STAKEHOLDER MEETINGS AND IF THERE ARE IS
ADDITIONAL WE LOOK AT HOW TO ACCOMMODATE
PRESENTATIONS OR MEETING WITH THOSE GROUPS. >>AND TO ADD TO THAT, ALSO ALL
OF THE WEB CAST IS AVAILABLE ON LINE, THE PRESENTATION IS ALSO IN WORD
FORMAT AND AS WELL POWER POINT AND SO ANYONE THAT NEEDS TO ACCESS THE PREVIOUS PRESENTATION IT’S THERE
AND AVAILABLE AND YOU CAN GET THEM AND THERE IS INFORMATION
FOR THE CONSULTATION. >>KRISTYN WONG-TAM: THANK YOU,
ANYONE ELSE? QUESTIONS?
OKAY. I WILL JUST. WITH RESPECT TO TIMELINES, I
RECOGNIZE THERE IS A TIMELINE ON–I GUESS THE DECISIONS TO BE
MAID BUT THEN THE IMPLY MENATION AND
PUBLIC AWARENESS CAMPAIGN AND ROLING OUT TO THE DIFFERENT
BUSINESSES IS A DIFFERENT TIMELINE. SO THE DECISION TIMELINE
INTERNALLY, BUT WHAT ABOUT THE OTHER TIMELINE >>SO WE WILL ANTICIPATE THE
PLANNING IS 2020 WITH THE FIRST POTENTIAL
BYLAW 2021 AND THAT WOULD BE THE FIRST TIMELINE FOR THE EATING UTENSILS AND THAT
THAT–SO, YES, THE PLANNING WOULD BE THAT WE LOOK FOR FEEDBACK AND FROM
STAKEHOLDER AND RESIDENCE AND MOVING TO DATES
AND WHERE THE BYLAW MAY BE ENFORCED THERE
IS MORE OF AN EDUCATION AWARENESS AND
THEN THE MORE STRICTER ENFORCEMENT LATER ON. SO THAT
IS PART OF THE CONVERSATION THAT WE WILL HAVE AND BASED WITH THE CONSULTATION TO SEE WHEN IS
APPROPRIATE TO ROLE THAT OUT >>KRISTYN WONG-TAM: WITH
RESPECT TO GETTING TO THE SINGLE USE
PLASTIC ISSUE, THE CONTAINER ISSUE, THE DOWN
STREAM, BY THE TIME IT REACHES THE CONSUMER, THE CHOICES ARE
LIMITED. HOW MUCH EFFORT IS ACTUALLY
BEING USED TO EXPLORE HOW TO ENSURE THOSE
THAT USE THE PRODUCT CAN ACTUALLY THINK
THROUGH HOW THEY CAN DO MUCH MORE OF AN EFFECTIVE JOB IN REDUCING THE
SINGLE USE COMPONENT? BECAUSE IT DOESN’T SEEM LIKE YOU
HAVE AS MUCH CHOICE? SO HOW DOES THAT WORK UP STREAM >>THIS IS BEING THOUGHT AT ALSO
AT PROVINCIAL LEVEL TO LOOKING AT
STRICTER CONSIDERATIONS IN BANNING MATERIAL AND THE GOVERNMENT ANNOUNCED THE
TRANSITION OF THE PROGRAM AND SO THERE IS A
SYSTEM TO ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY AND MANUFACTURERS ARE PACKAGING
AND THERE IS THE PRINTED PAPER AND THEY WILL
BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR THE PACKAGING THAT THEY PUT OUT INTO
THE MARKET. SO FOR THOSE THAT CREATE AND
DESIGN THOSE PRODUCTS THERE IS THE
INCENTIVE TO REDUCE THE AMOUNT OF EMERGING
MATERIALS TO CREATE THE PRODUCTS AND ALTHOUGH THE RECOMMENDATION
IS NOT DRAFTED YET, THERE IS THE LEGISLATION THAT WILL SAY
THAT THEY ARE TO DESIGN WITH
REDUCTION AS WELL AS MINIMIZE THE IMPACT OF
THE ENVIRONMENT. AND SO THAT IS TO SUPPORT
TRANSITION AND RESPONSIBILITY. >>SO YOU ARE SAYING IT’S
HAPPENING ON BOTH ENDS >>CORRECT
>>AND THE WORK IS COORDINATED >>YES >>KRISTYN WONG-TAM: FINALLY, I RECOGNIZE THERE IS A DESIRE TO
CHARGE IF SOMEONE IS NOT OR IF SOMEONE
REQUIRES A SINGLE USE CONTAINER. WHAT ABOUT PROVIDING A DISCOUNT? TO MAKE INCENTIVE, REDUCING THE
COST AS OPPOSED TO CHARGING SOMEONE?
>>OUR UNDERSTANDING IS THAT WE DON’T HAVE THE REGULATORY MECHANISM TO
REQUIRE A RETAILER TO HAVE A DISCOUNT. SO ANY INCENTIVE WOULD HAVE TO
BE WITH THE RETAILER, IF THEY CHOSE THAT
AS PART OF THEIR BUSINESS PROCESS >>CHAIR: SO BECAUSE IT’S
VOLUNTARY THEN, YOU CAN HAVE THE STANDARD
APPROACH. UNLESS IT’S STREAMLINED,
VOLUNTARY PROGRAMS TO REDUCE, REUSE, THAT
HAS NOT ALWAYS PROVIDED THE MAXIMUM
RESULTS, IS THAT CORRECT? >>THAT IS CORRECT. IN THE CITY OF TORONTO WE THERE
WAS A FIVE SENT FEE PROGRAM UP TO 2012
AND THAT WAS DEEMED UNSUCCESSFUL. WE DO HAVE SUCCESS IN USING THE
FEE MECHANISM ON PRODUCTS AND THAT
CHANGED THE BEHAVIOR AND SO WE SUGGESTED
A FEE SPECIFIC TO AND WE DIDN’T GO TOWARD BANNING BAGS BECAUSE THE BAGS
CAN BE USED FOR PARTICIPATION IN THE
PROGRAM, SO THAT IS SOMETHING. KRISTYN WONG-TAM: AND BECAUSE
BAGS ARE NOT COLLAPSED AND YOU CAN FOLD OR PUT INTO THE POCKET. THE OBJECTS THAT ARE ASKED TO BE CARRIED, THE CONTAINERS, IS
THERE THOUGHT OF CREATING NEW PRODUCTS
LIKE IT’S THE CONVENIENCE FACTOR AND
IT’S DIFFICULT TO CARRY A LOT OF CONTAINERS AND ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE A
MOBILITY. IS THERE ANY CONSIDERATION OR
GROUP WHERE PEOPLE STUDY REUSEABLE
MATERIALS THAT ARE FUNCTIONAL AND TAKE UP LESS SPACE? THE REASON BEING, CARRYING A
TAKEAWAY COFFEE MUG AND PUTTING IT INTO
YOUR MAG, I THINK ONE OF THE REASON IT’S
NOT WORKING IS IT’S NOT TAKING UP
SPACE. TAKING FOOD HOME, IT’S A LOT OF
CONTAINERS >>IT’S GREAT FEED BOOK BACK. ONE OF THE THING THE CITY IS
LOOKING AT IS ALTERNATIVE MATERIALS THAT
TAKE UP LESS SPACE OR VOLUME AND PART OF
WHAT WE DO IS TO LOOK FOR, I GUESS
INNOVATIVE REASONABLE CONTAINERS AND
SOLUTIONS SO THAT WE HAVE AND THROUGH CONSULTATIONS FROM MANY REDS, THERE IS A GROUP OF
RESTAURANT AND BUSINESSES WILL COME TOGETHER AND HAVE A CONTAINER PROGRAM WHERE
THERE IS A SMALL DEPOSIT ON THE CONTAINER AND THEY CAN USE THAT
FOR THE FOOD OR /PW*EFR /RAPBLG AND DROP IT OFF
SOMEWHERE AFTER AND THEN IT’S LODGED AND THEN THERE IS ANOTHER
ESTABLISHMENT. AND SO THIS IS SOME OF WHAT WE ARE LOOKING AT AND SO HERE IN CITY
OF /TROUPBT >>KRISTYN WONG-TAM: THANK
/KWROBG ANY OTHER QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS AT THIS POINT IN TIME
>>WENDY PORCH: I JUST WANTED TO COMMENT A BIT ON THESE AS
WELL AND IT SOUNDS TO ME THE INVITATION /O
OF THE CONSULTATION VERSUS THE QUESTIONS AND I WOULD JUST EN/KOUR /ROPBLG YOU
TO FIND SPACE AND SOMETIME TO CONNECT WITH THESE GROUPS ON THE
QUESTION OF THE FEE. PEOPLE ON ODSP LIVE ON 1200 A
MONTH AND SO IF YOU TRY TO GO OUT AND
BUY COFFEE REGULAR AND ENGAGE IN
PEOPLE THAT PEOPLE DON’T NOTICE, IT COULD
ADD UP. I ALSO WANTED TO JUST SAY, YOU
KNOW, AROUND THE EQUITY LENS TOOL THAT YOU ARE USING, THE ONE I WAS REFERRING
TO, IT WAS AT A TTC MEETING AROUND THE
SERVICE PLAN WHERE THE TOOL WAS MENTIONED AND I ASKED QUESTIONS
ABOUT THE DATA AND THE RESPONSE WAS NO. IF YOU ARE USING AN
EQUITY MAPPING TOOL OF SOME KIND, PLEASE ENSURE
THAT PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES ARE IN THERE. IT SEEMS TO BE A QUESTION WITH
NO ANSWER. WE WANT TO DO THINGS FOR PEOPLE
WITH DISABILITIES BUT DO NOT SEEM TO INCLUDE THEM WHEN
STUDYING IT. WE ARE HERE AND WE ARE IN THE CITY AND WE NEED TO BE REPRESENT AND SO
IF THAT IS NOT IN YOUR EQUITY LENS TOOL,
HOW YOU CAN ADDRESS THAT. THERE WAS SOME COMMENT AT THE CONSULTATION THAT I WAS AT
AROUND REUSE ABLE FOOD CONTAINERS AND
THOUGHT. AND JUST THE CAUTION, THE REUSE CONTAINERS REQUIRE PEOPLE TO OR
MAY REQUIRE PEOPLE TO CLEAN AND SANITIZE THEM AND OR BRING THEM
BACK TO A PLACE AND THAT CAN BE DIFFICULT FOR PEOPLE WITH
DISABILITIES, DEPENDSING ON ACCESS TO TRANSIT AND WE KNOW THAT IS
LIMITED AND THERE IS ACCESS TO SOMEONE TO SUPPORT THEM TO UNDERTAKE THOSE
TASKS AND SO IF SOMEONE HAS FOUR HOURS
OF CARE OR AN ASSIST A WEEK THEY DON’T WANT TO USE IT
ALL WITH SANITIZING AND SO IS THERE EVEN A POSSIBILITY AND I KNOW KRISTYN
WONG-TAM MENTIONED THE DISCOUNT AND THE
ITEMS, IS THERE A POSSIBILITY OF EXEMPT OF
THE FEES WITH PEOPLE ON LOW INCOME
AND SO THOSE PRICES DO NOT IMPACT THEM
>>KRISTYN WONG-TAM: THANK YOU FOR YOUR COMMENTS. >>LIV MENDALSON: JUST A QUICK
THOUGHT AROUND THE SANITATION PROCESS. IF PEOPLE DO THIS IN THEIR HOME,
KEEP IN MIND FOOD /AL ALLERGIES AND WHERE IT’S DONE
AND IF IT’S AN ORGANIZED MECHANISM. THAT IS ALL. THANK
YOU >>KRISTYN WONG-TAM: THANK YOU,
ANYONE ELSE TO SPEAK? I WANT TO THANK STAFF FOR YOUR
PRESENTATION. THANK YOU FOR COMING TO US TWICE A YEAR. YOU ARE AHEAD OF THE CURVE IN
MANY WAYS. THE WORK YOU ARE DOING IS QUITE
ADVANCED AND IT’S THE TYPE OF THING THAT IS REQUIRED THAT WILL BE MOVING
TOWARDS SUSTAINABILITY AND I RECOGNIZE IT’S A COMPLICATED
POLICY THAT YOU ARE UNDERTAKING AND THERE IS MANY
PIECES THAT FEED INTO IT AND I WANT TO THANK YOU, I DON’T THINK IT’S
NECESSARILY THE EASIEST AND I SUSPECT THERE WILL BE SOME
LOBBYING, FROM THE PLASTIC AND THOSE THAT
ARE RESIST. GETTING THINGS TO
CHANGE IS NOT EASY AND I WANT TO ACKNOWLEDGE THAT. THANK YOU FOR THE WORK YOU ARE
DOING >>THANK YOU
>>KRISTYN WONG-TAM: YOU ARE WELCOME. IF I COULD GET A MOTION TO
RECEIVE. IN FAVOUR, OPPOSED. CARRIES. SO WE WERE ABLE TO GET
THROUGH THE MEETING QUICKLY, WHICH IS ALWAYS GOOD. MY FEAR OF NOT HAVING THIS
MEETING AND DOUBLING UP ON THE NEXT IS WE
ARE /TPHEPB RUSHED THROUGH NOVEMBER
BUT BEFORE WE COME TO A CONCLUSION I WANTED TO THANK THOSE OF YOU FOR
PROVIDING SUPPORT, MARLENE FINNEGAN AND
VICTORIA AND I HAVE A MOTION, WE HAVE MEMBERS THAT WERE NOT ABLE
TO JOIN US. MY MOTION IS THAT WE EXCUSE THE ABSENCE OF THEM . GLEN HART, STEFANIE MARINICH-LEE, ALL IN
FAVOUR, OPPOSED. IF I MAY–. SO DEIRDRE BOYLE WAS
HIGHLIGHTING, THE REMINER FOR THE MEMBERS, THAT WE
HAVE TO FORMALLY EXCUSE ABSENCE FROM THE
MEETING, BECAUSE IF YOU MISSED YOU WERE REMOVED FROM THE
COMMITTEE NOW IF YOU MISS 3. SO WE WANT PEOPLE TO ATTEND AND
HAVE THE SCHEDULE EARLY AND HAVE THE
DATE INS YOUR CALENDAR. I LIKE TO HAVE A CELEBRATION,
AND THE LAST MEETING IS COMING AND I RECOGNIZE THE NEXT IS
NOVEMBER 1. I WILL ASK ALL OF YOU, IF YOU
COULD STAY AFTER THE 1230 CUT OFF AND
I WOULD LIKE TO BRING IN LUNCH AND MAYBE WE CAN CELEBRATE THE
END OF 2019 PERIOD A LITTLE EARLIER. I KNOW THAT WE ARE NOT QUITE
INTO DECEMBER BUT IT GIVES LOTS OF TIME AND THERE IS A LOT OF HOLIDAY PARTIES AND SO TRY TO
ACCOMMODATE FOR YOUR TRANSPORTATION AND I WOULD LOVE
FOR YOU TO STAY AND THAT IS EXTENDED
TO EVERYONE ELSE, INCLUDING THE MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC. WE WILL PROVIDE A LUNCH THAT
DAY. I THINK THAT IS THE END OF THE MEETING, IS THERE ANYTHING
ELSE? SEEING NONE. THE MEETING IS ADJOURNED. THANK YOU FOR
COMING TODAY. THANK YOU. >>MEETING CONCLUDES

Related Posts

Controlling Respirable Crystalline Silica: Handheld and Stand-Mounted Drills

Controlling Respirable Crystalline Silica: Handheld and Stand-Mounted Drills

[MUSIC] The Occupational Safety and Health Administration requires employers to limit workers’ exposure to respirable crystalline silica on the job.
Scotsman eaten by shark off Réunion was snorkelling in ‘safe’ lagoon

Scotsman eaten by shark off Réunion was snorkelling in ‘safe’ lagoon

A Scottish tourist believed to have been eaten by a shark had been swimming in what was deemed a 'safe'
THE BEST DOG TRAINERS!!! (top 5)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *